Friday, September 12, 2008

2 bhindi recipes

Well, looks like this week had been a very bhindi-ful week!!! First weekend posts starting with bhindi.  Not exactly. Had been discussing with one of my friends on 2 improvised bhindi recipes, and thought that instead of mailing to her, let me put up on my blog instead - for the benefit (being very optimistic about the effectiveness of the recipe ;-) )of others as well.
So here comes recipe no.-1

Superfast Masala Bhindi

What all you need

Bhindi - 1/4 Kg or as many as you want :-)
Masala Mix - Cumin, Coriander, Red Chilli, Turmeric, Dried Mango(aamchur)
Onion - Sliced (optional) - 1 big
Tomato - 2 or as many as you want :-), use your own sensibilities 
Oil

How to cook

1. Cut Bhindi into 2-inch pieces, slice onions (if using), and cut tomatoes into small pieces. 
2.  Mix cumin+coriander+red chilli+aamchur in equal proportion, and a pinch of turmeric powder. For an approximate assumption, for 1/4 kg of bhindi, use 1 teaspoon each of the masala powders.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add onions(if using).
4. After onions are lightly browned, add the bhindi and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the masala mix and salt to taste.
6. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
7.  Add tomatoes on the top layer and cover and continue to cook till done.
8. Serve hot with rice or rotis.


Chilli Garlic Bhindi

What all you need

Bhindi - 1/4 Kg
Potatoes - 2 large
Green Chillies - 4 (can be reduced as required based on taste)
Garlic - 8 cloves
Coriander Powder 
Oil

How to cook

1. Cut potatoes and bhindi into thin long strips.
2. Finely Chop Garlic and chillies.
3. Heat oil and add potatoes.
4. Once potatoes are fried lightly, add garlic and chillies.
5. Stir fry at high heat till garlic is fried and the aroma wafts around.
6. Add bhindi and continue stir frying.
7. Add coriander powder, salt to taste and cover and cook till done. 

So thats about it. All my friends who will stumble upon this page, please try these and let me know. One point of caution though - the quantities of the ingredients are purely based on assumption - so it is advisable that you use your own measurements, wherever you feel something out of place :-) I know all of you out there, are very good cooks, and can sure sense whenever something is not OK with a recipe!!!!!!!! And again, this is my first attepmt at posting a recipe on a blog, so please bear with me - I will surely improve with time.

3 comments:

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Good ideas. My daughters love bhindi, so I'm sure they'll approve of your improvisations.

ranjima said...

hi.. nice one.. Diya loves bhindi and also chillis :). I usually just fry the bhindi with little onion for her. I think she will like this chilli garlic recipe of yours..

Koel said...

hey thanks sumidi and ranjima....Do try them out and let me know how your daughters felt about them :) Inspires me to post few more recipes ;)