Monday, April 20, 2009

Life in the Corporate Jungle...- episode - 1

Well, a rare mid-week or rather a non-weekend post. This is actually one of my favourite topics and have spent endless days discussing this with colleagues and friends. But this is the first time I really thought of putting it down on paper - or rather the nearest equivalent to it, on cyberspace....

My 12 years in this jungle has given me sufficient material to fill in reams and reams of paper, and I believe I could actually write a novel out of it. But the till the time I am able to sharpen my writing skills, to be able to actually dish out pages of literature that anyone can enjoy, I will restrict myself to this medium only. The aim is to share a first hand insider view of the circus that goes on, rather than develop a sermon on what to do, what not to do, how to do and how not o do kind of stuff that is available aplenty in the marketplace.

Why do I call it a jungle.....u can actually call it a circus also, the common part is that both have animals of various kinds. Sometimes you have to tread your path precariously as in the wilds, and some times u can enjoy a ringside view of the hilarious stuff that goes on. This analogy reminds me of article I read, not too long ago, criticising the way we use animals to depict human character in a derogatory way. Quite interestingly, the author was an animal lover, and took pains to analyse characters of each the animals' names that we use in a negative way oh-so-often without thinking twice. The list included dog, pig, ass and a whole lot of others. Each of the animals' inherent character was analysed to show how wrong we are to associate these gentle creatures to represent human beings with dubious characters, and actually demean the animals in the process.

Believe me, I do not have any such intention. My idea of using animals as analogy is purely to be identify different shades of characters which inhabit this jungle very clearly!!. Let me start with the categories - the first one and very visible - the tail wagging, domesticated, loyal variety - do I need to name them - u guessed it right, dogs - but the lap dog variety. Will be always on the lap of the master, always attached. It does no real work, its only work is to give warm up the master's lap and make him/her happy. The owner, in return of the favour and gift of love , is eternally indebted to the pet, and will go all out to support it. He will get the best food from fancy dog food shops, take it out for beauty treatments in the newly sprung pet parlors, and dress it up in cute doggy dresses. The owner will never let go of its pet and always tug it along everywhere he goes, every ladder he climbs, every new horizon he touches.....He will have a seat next to his, for his pet. On its part, the pet needs to remain cuddly, warm and he ready to give a nice hug to the owner whenever it pleases.

Can you find recognize these types around u ? I'm sure you do!!! Do recall your colleagues (including you) , and I'm sure you will do....I can see the smile on your faces.... Keep up the smile while I come up with more prototypes and then follow up with interesting anecdotes...

Do visit this space for more.........

6 comments:

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Enjoyed your take on the corporate jungle/circus, although have never really been part of it (for a very long time, at least), but human nature is the same everywhere...

Pradip Biswas said...

Koel
In my profession we have true animals who follow us, share our food and food for thought and they are much better than the human beings. Besides this everybody compels to become teamminded and that way it may be said we are dogs to each other. Contonue this topic. i am sure many may enjoy it.

SGD said...

Looking forward to more Jungle stories!

Koel said...

thanks sumidi, Pradip, SGD. Plans are to continue this ....lets see hope I don't lose patience in between :-)

Ranjima said...

Ha ha ha I can think of a few lap dogs that I have encountered in my journey through the jungle:)

Koel said...

Ranjima - Thanks for reading....I'm sure many of them would be common between us, as we think of the same frist workplace:-) Do keep reading, you can keep adding names to charaters as we go along...